Monday, June 30, 2008

The Heart of a Champion

With the upcoming summer Olympics, I can't help but wonder what it feels like to dedicate your life to one talent and try to be the best you can be. Granted there are lots of things I've tried to be good at, but have only come close to mediocrity (see list below):

1. Navigating a map, or getting from point A to point B based on landmarks other then street names.
2. Any sort of dancing or interpretive movement (this also includes acting).
3. Drawing or any semblance of an art project.

However, I can see clearly now the rain is gone, I can see all obstacles in my way...here is the rainbow I've been praying for...

If Tetris were an Olympic event, I would be the Michelle Kwan of the contenders. Not Kristi Yamaguchi? Sorry, can't relate. Love her, love her skating, but let's be real, it all came a little too easy for her. She showed up, she skated, she won. That's NOT how the real world works. Michelle is not a quitter, she picks herself up everytime some little white girl with a bad haircut screws her over. (She was robbed!)

For over a year now I've been playing, practicing, mastering. There was a time when I was doing double duty, snood AND tetris but I finally committed to one useless game, and it has proven to be one of the best decisions of my life. I lived and breathed tetris. Call-in meeting? Tetris. 4:30pm at work? Tetris. Friends over to hang out, but have nothing more to say to them? Tetris.

To achieve Level 15, when I thought it only went up to Level 10, perhaps that is what is most rewarding. But I never stopped believing. Believing in the game, believing that my little fingers could click left, right, center, spacebar at lightning pace, and most importantly believing in myself, THAT my friends, is the heart of a champion.

2 comments:

Chews said...

aww i love it.
you should consider creative writing
you manage to infuse your writing with wit and personality. i like it.

...how's that??


i'm happy to know that all those times you played tetris while i watched tv on your couch have contributed to this triumph.

Nina said...

SHE WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!!!!